Friday, September 5, 2008

Labor Day Weekend Getaway

Instead of a mother's day gift this year I opted for a weekend getaway. I wanted to go in Aug. because all of the hotels are at a discounted price. And who could blame them who in their right minds wants to spend a holiday in Arizona during Aug!! Well it amazes me that hotels can give themselves fancy names and in turn decided to charge higher rates. We decided to stay at the 3 palms resort (more like a fancy motel 8) in Scottsdale and that is where are story begins. The outside of the hotel wasn't bad like I said a little better than a motel 8. Our room was nice but was located right across from the stairwell and next to the maid service area. But that didn't deter us because we had plans to just relax and watch movies until late and not have to worry about waking up early for the kids. Isn't it always when you have things planned it always ends up not going your way! Just as we were about to watch our first movie I noticed that the DVD player wasn't playing our DVD. No problem I'll just call the front desk well it turns out our DVD player is broken and they are all sold out of rooms so they can't put us in a different one. Since it was too late to go out to a movie by that time we just decided to call it a night. At about 3 am we are awaken to a man screaming at the top of his lungs phrases I can't repeat and wondering if Chris has his gun with him because we may need it! Luckily after a few passes by our room and another call to the front desk we were in silence once again. Until several other people came down the stairs and decided to have their conversation by the stairs. You get my drift it wasn't a very relaxing weekend after all. Did I mention that the maids get in around 5 am and then things get really loud. By the end I felt like a bus had ran me over and I was ready to get some sleep. Although it wasn't that relaxing we did get a chance to do a few fun things.



On Saturday we went to IKEA I had never been before so I wanted to check out what all the fuss was about this store. And I don't know if I missed something or maybe I need to go with the right people but I didn't get what was so great about this store. I did however like looking at all the kitchen gadgets that was fun. That night we went to the visitors center at the temple and watched the Joseph Smith movie. That was an awesome movie. I highly recommend seeing that one. I loved the portrayal of Emma in this movie and the actress who played her. She did a great job I love Emma and think she was such a strong woman to have gone through everything she did. The whole movie was done very well bring tissue because you will need it. Even though we have heard the story a million times it always brings tears to my eyes. What faith and endurance Joseph showed and the devotion he had to bring the book of Mormon to all those that wanted it.

Joseph Smith The Prophet of the Restoration, a film about the life and legacy of Joseph Smith, founding prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is shown in Arizona Temple Visitors Center.

1 comment:

kathee said...

That stinks that you had a bad hotel experience. I hate it when I look forward to something for a while and then it turns out like that. I've never been to Ikea either. That movie is so awesome. That new movie "Emma" that I think is just finally coming to DVD has that same actress, I've heard it's really good. Maybe next year you'll pick a better hotel, or there's always Black Friday weekend, don't you guys do something fun that weekend every year?