Friday, October 10, 2008

We Will Miss Great Grandpa Doyal







About a week ago I received a phone call from my mom with news that my Grandpa Doyal on my dads side was in the hospital and wasn't expected to make it through the next week. Because of a wonderful husband and great friends to help out I was able to get my kids packed and on the road for California by Sunday morning. Me and my kids were able to spend three wonderful days with my grandpa before he peacefully passed away. He died Thursday Oct. 2, 2008 at home in his bed. At times like this knowing he is happy and in a better place makes it so much easier to go through. I will always miss my grandpa but will always have wonderful memories of him. My grandpa was a WW II Navy Veteran, retired fireman and lifelong fisherman. If you know my grandpa you know you can't think of him without thinking about deep sea fishing. He was born in Texas in 1923 and spent the last 28 years of his life in Half Moon Bay California. A few memories I have is when I was little I was riding in the car with my grandpa and grandma and got car sick I remember my grandma being very concerned and consoling me. Looking back with my own kids it was probably more please don't throw up until we stop and get you out of our car first!!. Other memories are all the trips to the beach in Half Moon Bay where my grandpa lived the beach was just down the street from his house. I can still remember sitting in his bath tub trying to get sand out of places it just shouldn't be! It stinks getting older and having to say goodbye to loved ones. But it is an awesome thought knowing I will see him again and my children will be able to get to know him better than they have already. Till we see you again grandpa I will never forget all the good times we had together. Love you, Sarah

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm so sorry about your loss! Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family!!

Jodi said...

I am so glad you were able to see him before he died. It brings tears to my eyes. Hope you are doing well.